Thursday, April 17, 2008

Ezra's Entrance

Just after Nick & I were married, our young friend Maygan suggested that rather than Nick & I keeping separate names or one of us changing our name to the other's, we should create a new name: Edgecona. Although Nick & I are too attached to our own names to change them, we now use this name to informally identify our little family. For the record, Ezra's official last name is Laiacona.

My pregnancy with Ezra was good overall. Of course I had the usual fatigue and nausea during the first trimester, and I was lucky enough to draw the gestational diabetes and pregnancy induced hypertension cards. But, the reports on Ezra's health were always stellar, (I especially liked it when the genetic counselor told us that our risk levels for genetic complications were lowered to that of the average 25 year old), and a little extra trouble controlling diet and activity was a small prices to pay for a healthy child.

I was somewhat disappointed when the doctor started discussing inducing labor due to the risks associated with the hypertension. Ironically, the gestational diabetes created a likelihood that Ezra would grow too large, but the hypertension created a likelihood that he would be small. More seriously, there were also risks which could have caused serious trauma to Ezra. Ultimately Nick & I agreed with the doctor that induction was the best option, and on Thursday, March 20th, we went to the hospital for our fist dose of cytotech.

On Friday, March 21st, Nick's 36th birthday, we returned to the hospital for a second dose of cytotech, and by 5:20 pm my water broke and contractions started. After 5 1/2 hours of labor in bed strapped to the fetal monitors I was absolutely exhausted. The baby was in the posterior position, bearing down on my spine, so being in bed was the most painful place to be. Unfortunately, the baby's heartbeat wasn't showing the accelerations that would have given the doctor confidence that he could weather the upcoming storm of delivery, so continued monitoring was essential to ensure the baby's well being. Eventually the doctor allowed me to get up and move around, which did decrease the pain of labor significantly, but by that point I was so exhausted that I needed to be in bed during the seemingly interminable 5 minute intervals between contractions. Nick & I decided it was epidural time.

The anesthesiologist arrived in record time and soon I was looped out on the preliminary drug. I could still feel the contractions, but they were no longer painful. For the record, contractions feel like the worst menstrual cramps you've ever felt times 1000. Back labor feels like someone is taking a shovel and digging out your lower back.

Maybe this is when the vomiting started. I'm not sure about that since my memory of the wretching and dry heaves which swept over me every 5-10 minutes seems to be the first part fading away the way all mothers say the memory of labor pains do after birth. I do however have a great photo of myself, Nick, Ezra & Zoe just after the birth and I'm still holding the basin I became so attached to. I also clearly remember several occasions on which I would point to the basin and croak "throw up!" and Nick would rush to grab it for me. Throughout the labor Nick was by my side encouraging, comforting, holding me.

Somewhere around 4 am the doctor told us it was time to start pushing. He also explained that he had another patient who needed a c section, but he needed me to deliver first, so I was to push with all the energy I could muster. Even with this motivation it took 2 more hours until Ezra Nicholas Laiacona was born at 5:7 am on March 22, 2008. Weighing in at 6 pounds 11 ounces, he was 1/2 pound smaller than predicted.


I'm sure any mother will tell you that the moment her child is placed on her chest after birth is the most amazing moment in life. I cannot even begin to find the words to describe the joy I felt seeing my son for the first time. It was truly like witnessing a miracle. Or experiencing love at first sight. Long ago, in what seems like another life, I used to have a recurring dream of finding a love like this. Somehow, with Nick as my husband, and our son in my arms, I find myself living that dream.

No comments: